eden

eden

The Blog of ...

SCOTT CAPLE / Concept and Design for Animation / Environment /Character / Layout / Storyboard / Pixar / Disney / Blue Sky / Aardman / Lucasfilm

Thursday, October 21, 2010

TEACHING ONLINE or OLD SCHOOL/ NEW SCHOOL



So something i haven't talked about at all: I have begun to teach an online course for the Academy of Art University down in San Francisco. The AAU has a long distinguished history of offering art instruction and training for the illustration, animation and other visual arts.
I got a call over a year ago from one of my old disney buddies, Dave Nethery, who had been with the Feature unit in Orlando, Florida. The AAU was expanding and wanted to offer online training in animation as well as the classes available on campus. They wanted a course to teach 2D layout.
An almost extinct career, but one with a distinguished past, so why not?
So began a long process of first building the course, which involved writing and sorting out a course outline, a ton of research, and the creation of visual material to support it. At first I thought it would be a side line and not take so long, but it turned out to take almost all my time all last summer of 2009. It was a chance to come up with a course of study that would include all the things I think are important to the layout process, including the history of motion pictures (remember film and projectors?)
After a sumer and fall of putting it together, working with the editors and tech guys who were formatting it for the on line experience, the course has gone out thereand i am in the middle of a semester of teaching it.
It's 15 modules, that is weeks, each module consists of about 12 t0 20 sessions, or pages, that deal with some point concerning layout. There is lots of multi media: still images presented with the text. slideshows that demonstrate a process, I even went down to SF and sat in a TV studio while I demo'd a whole slew of How Tos which were filmed and turned into video tutorials. That was rather fun, although I was nervous and it shows when you watch them.

It'll be interesting to see where it all goes.

I'll provide more details here as things go ... .

1 comment:

James O'Shea said...

very cool, I wish they had you teaching when I took layout over there.
Best wishes on your Layout class AND can't wait for your book to come out! ;)