header

header
Incredibles / E's house

The Blog of ...

SCOTT CAPLE / Concept and Design for Animation / Environment /Character / Layout / Storyboard / Pixar / Disney / Blue Sky / Aardman / Lucasfilm

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Back To Layout



Here's a couple of pages that I used in class last week, coming back to revisit perspective...
Showing two simple methods of finding a correct square, in a one point set up and a two point setup.
Nothing new here - this is all in Loomis and others, but I find that sometimes the knowledge has to be winkled out and the step by step isn't always completely clear... ah well, that which is worth having, is worth working for, isn't it?
These are done FREE hand ...well, a little help with the shift key after i took to Photoshop, but don't use a ruler with the initial sketch!
Please vet these for me - are the instructions clear? Easy to follow? I'd like to use these in the BOOK when I get it OUT!



12 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Amok said...

Hi Scott,

I'm a student in the computer animation program at Sheridan and I really enjoyed your presentation on friday. I am very interested in the field of design in animation and have a few questions and wonderings i'd like to discuss with you if you could maybe leave me your email address? My blog profile has my email there. talk with you soon!

Qian Wang said...

Thanks Scott, it's very helpful~ :-)

Naz said...

Hey Scott,

Love your teaching, and your notes. Put a BOOK TOGETHER, I bet we will all line up to get your notes on layout and design! Good luck with everything,

Naz

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
starnes said...

Hello Mr. Caple,

I was a student of yours way back when you taught a layout class at "Associates in Art" in LA (that would have been around 1999-2000). After your class I did layout at Dreamworks, Rough Draft, Film Roman, and a few other places.

I saved all the handouts from your class and referred to them often. They proved very useful over the years (in fact other layout artists often requested copies). Since my copies are all at least ten years old now, I would love to see any new stuff you have. These (above) are very clear and easy to understand for anyone who is willing to put in the time to learn perspective.

Also please let me know when your book is coming out, so I can be first in line to order a copy.

Thanks,

Thomas Starnes

scott Caple said...

Dear All,

Amok- Thanks for the compliments...glad you enjoyed the lecture. I will be sure to come by the space again and see what you're doing. I'll check with Jim first, thogh!

Quian - Thanks.. now draw each one 100 times!

Naz - Thanks! The book is coming up! stay tuned!

Tom - Hey! How are you! talk about a blast from the past! Good old AiA...I loved that place; didn't get nearly enough out of it...I have heard it is no more. Well, "the old order changeth, giving way to new" and all that...Glad to hear you got to do some layout work in the business.

I can see i need to put up more stuff like this.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
LampshadeMan said...

Wow, thanks for the notes, it is very much appreciated. These are very clear and helpful!