eden

eden

The Blog of ...

SCOTT CAPLE / Concept and Design for Animation / Environment /Character / Layout / Storyboard / Pixar / Disney / Blue Sky / Aardman / Lucasfilm

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Burton! Taylor! Zefferelli! Zounds!






Just watched one of my favourite films -the Franco Zefferelli version of Taming of the Shrew with Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor. Holds up very well! The director really loved the subject matter. As with all his films, the mis en scene is great - there's real texture to the sets, costumes and action. You can taste and smell the atmosphere. Lots of great details for the observer to enjoy. As Micheal York is riding in to town, notice the kids in the foreground imitating the sculptor of the torso.
Also, lots of great blocking and compositions.
I always feel the test of any book or film is it's appeal- do you want to go there? I would go to this Padua in a heartbeat!

1 comment:

Willy Ashworth said...

Hi Scott

Indeed...every film I count as being influencial has this great sense of place, and a compositional sense that grabs me and brings me into the picture, and makes me want to stay there.

Always fun visiting here, and I hope you are well.